It’s fall y’all. Well, that’s what the calendar says anyway. These Texas temps are saying something different. No matter the weather it’s time for the State Fair of Texas!
1. Plan your visit on a Dallas Cowboys’ game day! Whether they are playing here or away; the crowds at the fair are lighter.
2. Go during the Texas vs. OU game. Getting to the fair is a bit of a pain, but once the game starts the fair is a ghost town!
3. Don’t pay 7 or 8 coupons for water! Find the $2 water stations. It’s the best deal at the fair!
4. Check out the Fiesta de Marionetas Show. The puppets and show are stellar. I could have watched for hours.
5. The Contain Yourself(ie)s are cool whether you’re into selfies or not. The painted containers are works of art and worth a look.
6. Visit the Hall of State for two reasons. First, the architecture is ornate and beautiful. Second, the Texas Cinema exhibit is mighty impressive. You will see all the actors born in Texas and their contributions. Be sure and head downstairs to the theater to sit a spell and enjoy the short film showing clips of all the movies filmed in Texas. Who knew there were so many!?
7. Stroll down the Esplanade and look up! The Art Deco buildings and statues are beautiful.
8. Let’s get serious here. We all know the main reason we visit the fair is for the GRUB and calories don’t count at the fair. *wink, wink*! My favorite bites were: Fletcher’s Corny Dogs, Ruth’s Stuffed Fried Taco Cone, Deep-Fried Nutella Custard Stuffed French Toast and funnel cake.
Get yourself to the fair. You won’t be disappointed!